Kitchen Tip: Cook Dried Beans Fast
If you want to use some of those dried beans that have been sitting on your shelf forever, but you forgot to soak them overnight, there’s no need to worry. This fast-cook method will have them ready in no time.
1. Place beans in a saucepan and cover with two inches of water
2. Bring to a boil for 2 minutes
3. Remove from heat, cover and let sit for 1 hour
4. Drain water from pot, fill with fresh water 2 inches above beans and simmer until cooked through
5. Season to taste prior to serving
Why should you use dried beans? There’s no need to worry about BPA in cans, they’re salt free, and you can save money by using only the amount you need. Try them the next time you make hummus or white bean dip, black bean and turkey burritos or a spring vegetable soup.